A technical and mind-bogging question

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Hickory
Garter
Garter

A technical and mind-bogging question

Post by Hickory » Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 pm

I have an experiment about photosynthesis and coloured light that has just been completed. The only problem is, I get a bit confused with pigments and reflecting of light.

This is how I set up my experiment:
coloured cellowrap (red blue and gree) is placed over a box filled with bean plants and cared for, noting changes.

Now I have to deduce what cellowrap does what? Red cellophane lets right light through? or does it reflect the red light? And how does this light affect the plent? (and other coloured cellophane too) Do the properties of the cellowrap have much to do with it?

I am so very confused. Many text books out there use so much scientific lingo that it becomes so overwhelming for me. IT's a shame really because it sounds like such an intersting process. Can somebody please help me?

Thank you very much

Hickory
Garter
Garter

Post by Hickory » Sun May 07, 2006 2:11 pm

sorry,
"Red cellophane lets red light through"

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sun May 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Isnt that because the color red attracts more light when it is overcast?
That was the theory behind a study to see if placing red plastic around tomato and other sun loving plants increased production or not.

Ps: I will see if i can find some info on that if you would like?
~Lynne
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

Hickory
Garter
Garter

Post by Hickory » Mon May 08, 2006 9:19 am

Thank you very much - i would greatly appreciate that!!!

rg
Garter
Garter

Post by rg » Tue May 09, 2006 5:45 pm

anything that looks coloured means that reflects that particular colour into your eyes.....

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue May 09, 2006 7:22 pm

rg wrote:anything that looks coloured means that reflects that particular colour into your eyes.....

No in the case of something transparent. In this case the light is not reflected, but transmitted. Hence that means that Red cellophane stop all light but the red one.

One the other hand the color of a piece of paper, or of a leaf is due to the reflection of the light, meaning that the light absorbed is one that is not reflected.

Now with that you can try look for the kind of light needed for photosynthesis, the kind of light that is transmitted through your cellophane and get an idea of what is going to happen in each case for the plant.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Tue May 09, 2006 7:33 pm

OK getting back to you,
I found the parties responsible for that study:
was by the USDA and Clemson University.
Tests showed that the
red plastic film reflected far red light waves upward toward the plants, thus triggering protein that stimultes more rapid growth, and increases fruit production.

~Lynne
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

Hickory
Garter
Garter

Post by Hickory » Sun May 14, 2006 6:20 am

thanks very much! i get it now! ^^

sameerchahal
Garter
Garter

Post by sameerchahal » Tue May 27, 2008 2:57 pm

thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx