infant mortality of heavy babies

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

nix2101
Garter
Garter

infant mortality of heavy babies

Post by nix2101 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:17 pm

hi,

Recently in a biology lesson our teacher gave us a graph showing the relationship between the birth weight of babies, and what percentage of them die at these weights.
Of course the very small babies had the highest percentage of infant mortality, and as the weight increased the chance of death decresed. However, at about 3kg upwards the chance of death started increasing. And the chance of the baby dying was almost the same for a newborn weighing 5kg, and 1.5kg.

What is the explanation for this increase in chance of infant mortality when the baby is heavier?

I thought that a bigger baby would put the mother at more risk, but advantage the baby?

Can anybody help explain this? Was this data correct?

Thanx
Nix

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Wed May 03, 2006 6:09 pm

I don't know if the info is correct or not but I guess this situation is related to the "optimum" of everything. I mean, both 1,5 and 5 kg are extreme.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu May 04, 2006 1:51 am

cervix or birth canal size, your baby might not be able to come out.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Al-Hashmi
Garter
Garter

Post by Al-Hashmi » Thu May 04, 2006 3:43 pm

I guess the more you depart from the mean, the more likely you will face problems wthether you are smaller than average or larger than average.
I undestand that some babies born to diabetic mothers are usually larger than average and they can have problems with their lungs similar to the smaller preterms one!

beluga fiction
Garter
Garter

bigger baby

Post by beluga fiction » Thu May 04, 2006 6:12 pm

A bigger baby is more fragile, his insulin level is ussualy at high level accordingly to the high blood glucose level of the mother; after his birth there is an imbalance between insulin and low glucid level of milk; the rest of hormones, to replace this deficit could damage the respiratory and cardiac function. Also, the metabolism of this mega-baby could not support the immune system.