effects of point mutation on properties and function

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

metalinferno
Garter
Garter

effects of point mutation on properties and function

Post by metalinferno » Mon May 01, 2006 7:36 am

Hi guys.. am new here.. need some help in biology as I just took up this subject this year....

Hmmm alright here it goes, with reference to the sickle cell anaemia, what are the effects of point mutation on properties and function of hemoglobin?

I am aware of the basic structural changes, such as the change in the shape of Hemoglobin from globular to sickle shaped. Is there anything more? and how does it change the function of hemoglobin, thanks!

,Nicholas

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Mon May 01, 2006 10:59 am

the hemoglobin become less effective in transporting oxygen, smaller surface area

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Mon May 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Both the shape of the hemoglin changes (causing it to be "less effective in transporting oxygen..."- Kiekyon.) And.. also the shape of the RBC's themselves change ... further hindering their abliity to physically travel trhough small vessels and capillaries to deliver oxygen to tissue/cells.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon May 01, 2006 7:10 pm

The shape of the RBC changes cause the newly formed haemoglobin(called HbS in literature) forms fibres, kinda pulling the walls of the cell
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter