Darwin's Finches

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

Darwin's Finches

Post by biology_06er » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:46 am

Hey there

Could someone please tell me if I have answered these questions correctly..

1)How does beak size and shape (morphology) relate to the feeding habits of darwin's finches?

I said something along the lines of in wet years birds tend to feed on small seeds hence a decrease in beak size whereas in dry years small seeds are rare and beaksize increases due to them having to survive on cracking open large seeds

2)What 2 factors are required for a character or trait (such as beak depth) to adapt through natural selection?

*Change in environment
*Natural variation in heritable trait (got this one from the lecture notes but not really sure what it means :oops: )

Thanks
biology_06er

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:29 pm

1/ No the answer should be along the different morphotypes of finches related to their diet. ith diet specialization (or not) leading to different shapes of beaks.

2/To be heritable means that it can be passed through generation. Like a gene that changes beak depth, but unlike a cut tail or something like this, even though the latter can improve the organism fitness.
Changes in environment are not required for the adaptation of the character itself.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

Post by biology_06er » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:26 am

Hi

Thanks but ummmm does this mean for 1 I have to say something like finches with small beaks feed on small seeds and finches with larger beaks feed on larger seeds/finches who have thin extended beaks are able to poke into holes and eat grubs ....

2-how about the variation in the population?...

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions

Thanks
biology_06er

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:52 am

biology_06er wrote:Hi

Thanks but ummmm does this mean for 1 I have to say something like finches with small beaks feed on small seeds and finches with larger beaks feed on larger seeds/finches who have thin extended beaks are able to poke into holes and eat grubs ....

te beak is also adaped for different purposes, such as crushing seeds, pecking wood, and probing flowers for nectar