wat is darwinism???

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biogirl4
Garter
Garter

wat is darwinism???

Post by biogirl4 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:53 am

:D can someone tell me wat darwinism is??? i have heard it several times but don't know wat it is??? i mean i can tell by the name that it has to do with charles darwin which means it has to do paartly with evolution???thanks

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Re: wat is darwinism???

Post by kiekyon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 am

Darwin's theory is most often referred to as the theory put forth for the first time in his book, On The Origin of Species. That theory is now usually called the theory of natural selection.

Darwinism, however, is the school of thought that subscribes to Darwin's theory. Technically, Darwinism claims that all traits an individual posesses have been evolved through the process of natural selection. This was very popular for a time, but we have since learned that there are other driving forces to evolution, and not all things can be attributed to natural selection. There are variations on the theme of Darwinsism, you have probably heard the term 'neo-Darwinism' 8)

biogirl4
Garter
Garter

Post by biogirl4 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:05 pm

actually i haven't hearrd of the term "neo-Darwinism"...but thanks for telling me wat darwinism is...now i have a better understanding...
"opinions are like addictions... everyone's got one"