genetics question- colorblindness...please help!

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

meaghan22
Garter
Garter

genetics question- colorblindness...please help!

Post by meaghan22 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:20 pm

Hi! Hopefully someone can anwer my question, which is this: My father is colorblind, and I am now having a child with a man who is colorblind. Is it 100% definite that our first child will be colorblind, male or female? Or is it only if the child is male? Also, are there different degrees of colorblindness?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:11 pm

Color blindness is a reccessive trait. Carried by X. The point is that are you color blind too? If your father is colorblind that means you are a carrier. If you have a child with a colorblind man that means both your son and daughter CAN be colorblind. You can not say 100%. Because, if you are just a carrier that means there is a chance of having normal children. You can try to solve this with a punnet square. First try and then feel free to ask the points that are not clear.

About degrees of colorbindness: I haven't heard about the "degrees" but, yes, there are different types. Have a look this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:00 pm

it's works out to 50% chance of colorblindness (boy or girl).

(if your female child is not colorblind.. she will also be a carrier too... just like you)

Different degrees of colorblindness? I don't know.. but, i know that there are different types of colorblindness...

Best wishes!

ajs
Garter
Garter

Post by ajs » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:39 am

X(A)X(a) x X(a)Y
you colourblind father

Possible childs worked with punnet:
1. X(A)X(a) Carrier female
2. X(A)Y Normal man
3. X(a)X(a) Colourblind female
4. X(a)Y Colourblind man
there are possibielities equally important

zami'87.
Coral
Coral

Re: genetics question- colorblindness...please help!

Post by zami'87. » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:30 pm

yeah the chance is 50% but color vision is based on 3 genes and 2 of them are on X chromosome (for green and red) and the one for blue is on autosome(think it's 7 but not 100% sure) so it doesn't have to be the same type..correct me :? ...but most often it's about X
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***