Immortality

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Zeneth Entorion
Garter
Garter

Post by Zeneth Entorion » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:07 am

Anyone who doesn't want to live forever clearly doesn't have a very good idea of what death entails!

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:17 am

Poison wrote:
AstusAleator wrote:Ah, but what about human cloning? If we could find a way to transfer our minds (the thoughts ect, not the physical brain) to new bodies, we could theoretically live forever.

But that organism is not "you".

And I don't think anybody wants to live forever.

i want to :lol: :lol:

kabuto
Coral
Coral

Post by kabuto » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:11 am

Poison wrote:
AstusAleator wrote:Ah, but what about human cloning? If we could find a way to transfer our minds (the thoughts ect, not the physical brain) to new bodies, we could theoretically live forever.

if u could transfer the mind, would it be you, or just another person thinking the same way as you?
because he say transfer not clon your mind

Zeneth Entorion
Garter
Garter

Post by Zeneth Entorion » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:15 am

kabuto wrote:
Poison wrote:

if u could transfer the mind, would it be you, or just another person thinking the same way as you?
because he say transfer not clon your mind

If it thinks like you and has the same knowledge as you, it /is/ you. You can't define identity otherwise.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Zeneth Entorion wrote:Anyone who doesn't want to live forever clearly doesn't have a very good idea of what death entails!

Death is part of living. Sure I would like to live longer like, maybe 200 years? But I wouldn't want to live too much longer than that. I think it depends on your thoughts about what DOES happen after death. Have you read any Elisabeth Kubler-Ross?
Haven't we learned anything from Saturday morning cartoons? There is always an immortal guy walking around regreting becoming immortal.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Some religious people don't regard themselves as gods and shouldn't live forever. And if you're into existentialist literature, many consider life to be an agonizing journey.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:42 am

mithrilhack wrote:Some religious people don't regard themselves as gods and shouldn't live forever. And if you're into existentialist literature, many consider life to be an agonizing journey.

Ugh, boy is it ever!
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

Jondice
Garter
Garter

Post by Jondice » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:01 am

I'd like to sidestep the philosophical implications of this topic, though they are interesting I'm sure.

Yes individual elements have a half life, but we retain very few of the specific atoms in our body over time; our "substance throughput" is enormous.

Living "forever" is certainly possible, but it would require quite a lot of therapy, and it may be much harder to do for existing beings than genetically engineered organisms. It may be rather improbable, due to "accidents", but by no means impossible.

Aubrey de Grey is a very prominent and promising researcher in this area, imo.

Sure, the universe itself may end one day end in the "big crunch" or whatever it is physicists call it, but if sentient beings continue to evolve, along with culture, I'm sure that even an obstacle of that magnitude may have a chance of being side stepped in some fashion.

Jondice
Garter
Garter

Post by Jondice » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:09 am

Poison wrote:

Yes, and I think once we realize this, it is much easier to forget one's fear of death. I don't mean to sound like a downer, but once you begin to think of yourself as nothing more than a complex machine, with your memories as your data, fearing death (at least on an active and philisophical basis) becomes much more difficult.

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 am

nanobots? mm... how many cell we have? million.

i think it may take a long time to do it. (~_~)

kabuto
Coral
Coral

Post by kabuto » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:40 pm

are there any immortal organism :?:

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:22 pm

It depends on what you define as "immortal". A single cell organism can be considered as immortal. You know, it does not die as we do.
Also plants' growth are theoritically considered as infinitive, so in that perspective they may be considered as immortal. :)

I know this is not such a biological thing but what about soul? How to transfer/clone that? ;)
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.