monohybrid cross

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Elliott
Garter
Garter

monohybrid cross

Post by Elliott » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:42 am

i just dont get it im confuse if someone can help me please or give me a hint, if this statement is correct or incorrect:

The F1 offspring of a monohybrid cross will be intermediate in phenotype between the phenotypes of the parents,

:oops:
tx,

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:20 pm

Try drawing a Punnett square for it. A monohybrid cross would be set up like this: Each parent is a hybrid for the gene that you're looking at: Aa, for example. When you cross an Aa individual with another Aa individual, what would the results be?

Assuming that this is a simple monhybrid cross, that should be enough to answer the question. If you run into any more trouble though, just come back here and post again.

Elliott
Garter
Garter

Post by Elliott » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 am

ok, i did what you said the punnett square, and i think if i did it correct that statement is correct; the cross intermediate in phenotype between the parents phenotypes,
tx,

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:33 pm

Actually, I disagree. From a monohybrid cross, you should get a 1:2:1 ration, of homozygous dominant:Heterozygous:Homozygous recessive. So, there would be some offspring in the F1 that do not have both alleles, and thus could not have an intermediate phenotype (and that's assuming that the trait you're looking at assumes codominance).