Career change and going back to school...

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Blueshift
Garter
Garter

Career change and going back to school...

Post by Blueshift » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Well, this is my first time here. Hoping someone can give me some advice. Having grown disillusioned with my current line of work I am looking to hopefully go back to a good school for a degree in one of the biological sciences. The problem is I already have a B.A. in Telecommunications, with little in the way of science/math college credits.

Not sure if I should try for another bachelors, or if it'd be possible/desirable to clear up my numerous science/math deficiencies and go for a masters. Some colleges won't allow undergraduates who already have a bachelors. Because I'm coming in late in the game, combined with my unscientific academic background, I'm worried getting into one of the
better schools won't be possible.

I'm wondering if any of you here are/were in a similar position, looking into a science career later than normal? How did you go about obtaining a science degree despite an unscientific past? Thanks for any advice/suggestions you might have for my situation.

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi and welcome to the boards 8)
Hold old are you? What science degree are you going after? Why do you want to go back to school and change your career? Science degrees don't make a lot money unless you're really high up in the system.

People with computer science bachelor make way more money than people with biology bachelor for example. Not sure if this is true for all countries, but it is the way it is here were I live.

Blueshift
Garter
Garter

Post by Blueshift » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:52 am

Thanks for the welcome. Most of my background has been in media work. I realised a while back that I didn't want my existence to revolve around entertaining people, trying to sell a product, etc. I've had a huge shift in priorities, thus my interest in trying to do something I consider more important.

I've found that learning more about the universe around me to be worth pursuing. I'm already 27, so I'm trying to act on this while still relatively young. Not sure about a specific branch of study, but paleontology and astrobiology are interests of mine.

I'm low-maintenance, so a fat salary isn't a priority. Just trying to find something worth doing.

Anyway, that's what's going on at my end.

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Is there something called astrobiology...?
More like astrophysics... :o