PEG

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

HELISA
Death Adder
Death Adder

PEG

Post by HELISA » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:31 am

Hi,
I'm using PEG for introducing RNA molecule into mesophyll protoplasts and I was wondering how it is possible, that actually cells uptake such a large molecules like RNA or DNA from the environment if PEG is used. What changes in membrane composition this polymer cause, that this procedure is possible? Any ideas?

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:15 pm

I've heard that PEG is used to fuse cells when cell wall has been removed...PEG, does that get inside the lipid bilayer as is has long chains & due to many sp2 hybridised carbons [ double bonds] it will have many kinks to increase membrane fluidity which may account for easier & faster fusion of cell membranes...my explanation...just nascent...but how do we relate the increased fluidity to more -NA [DNA & or RNA ] absorption?

still i doubt its hydrophbicity & ability to get inside the lipidlayers..it may be in between the hydrophobic and philics , such that its able to get inside bilayer & at the same time, create easy diffusable path through the membrane for -NAs it & having some sort of arrangement inside membrane...or even creating some sort of pores..?

Interesting...gonna search for!

hrushikesh