Type of Rection

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

larock01
Garter
Garter

Type of Rection

Post by larock01 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:52 pm

What characterizes this reaction: A+B ---> AB+ energy ?

I am thinking maybe either exergonic reaction or endergonic reaction or maybe another one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:29 pm

exergonic --> energy is released by the reaction and is therefore called exergonic.

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Re: Type of Rection

Post by Enzyme » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:10 pm

larock01 wrote:What characterizes this reaction: A+B ---> AB+ energy ?

I am thinking maybe either exergonic reaction or endergonic reaction or maybe another one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- If the reaction releases energy, it is an exergonic reaction (ΔGº' is negative).
- If the reaction incorporates energy (which is needed for carrying out the reaction), it is an endergonic reaction (ΔGº' is positive).

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Type of Rection

Post by sdekivit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Enzyme wrote:
- If the reaction releases energy, it is an exergonic reaction (ΔGº' is negative).
- If the reaction incorporates energy (which is needed for carrying out the reaction), it is an endergonic reaction (ΔGº' is positive).

delta G(0)' doesn't say anything about the reaction is it's spontaneuous, but says something about the properties of the chemical reaction. Delta G says something about how the reaction occurs and involves both delta G(0)' (chemical properties) and the concentrationfraction (RT * ln K) (chemical environment).

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 pm

Yes, you are absolutely right. I wanted to say that in exergonic reactions, the energy of the products is less than the energy of reactives. And as a consequence, there is a release of energy called ΔG (which in this case, it is negative). And in endergonic reactions it occurs the other way round.

I don't know how I could write ΔGº'. Sorry for my mistake and thanks for the correction ;).