good/bad bacteria

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

katbud
Garter
Garter

good/bad bacteria

Post by katbud » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:57 am

Hello I was wondering if there is a scientific name for "bad" bacteria?
And also is "probiotics" a real scientific name for "good" bacteria?
Thanks

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:20 pm

This can be what you are looking for:
patogenic bacteria= bad bacteria
beneficial bacteria(that's what came to my mind)= good bacteria

For probiotic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

Hope this helps. :)
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

rg
Garter
Garter

Post by rg » Fri May 05, 2006 11:46 am

all the pathogenics are not bad...it depend upon which organism they infect..pathogenic of humans are bad but the same for harmful insects may be beneficial for us..

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Mon May 08, 2006 4:05 am

From the oxford english dictionary a pathogen is a micro-organism that can cause disease. So unless you have some kind of weird fetish in that you like getting sick then yes I'd say they are bad.
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!

AAAlong
Garter
Garter

Post by AAAlong » Fri May 19, 2006 2:12 pm

the "good" bacteria is good for human
the "bad" bacteria is bad for human too.
i think so
it is human that decide the bacteria is good or bad :(

MAGEE XAVIER
Garter
Garter

pathogenic & non-Patogenic bacteria

Post by MAGEE XAVIER » Mon May 22, 2006 7:34 am

Bacteria can be classified as (Bad bacteria) Pathogenic & Commensal or Non- Patogenic Bacteria (Good bacteria)based on their ability to cause disease.

Pathogenic bacteria always cause infection.It can be infectious to either humans, animals, plants or sometimes in combinations.

Non- pathogenic bacteria are harmless organisms.More than 500 different species of bacteria exist in our bodies, making up more than 100 trillion cells.The bacteria are on the whole commensal, sharing our food but doing no real harm.In fact, they are often beneficial: Our commensal bacteria protect us from potentially dangerous infections. They do this through close interaction with our immune systems.

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Re: pathogenic & non-Patogenic bacteria

Post by mkwaje » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:20 am

Just a comment. I believe that we really cannot equate bad bacteria = pathogenic bacteria. I agree that all pathogenic bacteria are bad, BUT not all BAD bacteria are pathogenic!! Those bacteria that cause spoilage in the food and beverage industry are not all pathogenic, right?

MAGEE XAVIER wrote:Bacteria can be classified as (Bad bacteria) Pathogenic & Commensal or Non- Patogenic Bacteria (Good bacteria)based on their ability to cause disease.

Non- pathogenic bacteria are harmless organisms.More than 500 different species of bacteria exist in our bodies, making up more than 100 trillion cells.The bacteria are on the whole commensal, sharing our food but doing no real harm.In fact, they are often beneficial: Our commensal bacteria protect us from potentially dangerous infections. They do this through close interaction with our immune systems.

Commensalism is a relationship where one is benefitted while the other is neither harmed nor benefitted. Since some of those bactera are beneficial to us, they are not commensals. Mutualism, I think is the proper term. And "close interaction with the immune system"? Are you saying that they are in direct contact with our immune system. Maybe what you're trying to say is that certain by-products of some bacteria may be beneficial to our immune system.

inforpic
Garter
Garter

Post by inforpic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:49 am

you must see the structure of Bacteria first.

http://inforpic.googlepages.com/structureofabacterialcell

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:00 am

Sorry, but this is one of the worst image I have ever seen.

There is no such thing as a nuclear area, the chromosome being spread all over the cytoplasm, capsules are special structure that are not frequent in bacteria., far from it. Neither do they all have flagella.

Vade retro to the drawing board inforpic.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 am

Not very detailed. Only 3 things labelled. :-(
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 am

..... what do you mean by 3 labelled?

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:57 am

He means the link to bacterial illustration. Only 3 are labeled and like what Canalon said, its a bad bacterial illustration. No cell membrane and cell wall even; which are present in all bacteria unlike the capsules and flagella