enzymes again..

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

meegz__
Garter
Garter

enzymes again..

Post by meegz__ » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:15 am

Hi sorry guys just need your help again.
"What are enzymes role in biological function and the factors which influence their activity"..
Thanks.

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:52 am

I think that Google could help you find this very quickly, if the biology online tutorials don't have it.

But just as a starter, enzymes help to speed up many reactions in an organism, with no additional energy cost. As for factors that influence their activity, enzymes are proteins, and if you think about them that way it's easier (for me, and I hope for you) to think about what might affect them. Good luck!

nugget
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by nugget » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:25 am

enzymes are the best!! they speedy gonzales everything :-P

they catalyze certain metabolic reactions (google will be great for examples something that always adds spice to an answer) they dont take get involved in the reaction so they remain unchanged at the end of a reaction.

A few factors that can influence the activity of an enzyme can be temperature; so if its too hot, the proteins that make up the enzyme will denature, if its too cold, the enzyme will just not work. pH can be an influencing factor, as well as the amount of substrate (the substance which is undergoing a change in a reaction) logically if u have more substrate, the more enzyme your going to need!

i hope that helps make more sense to you but i would still look in a textbook, if yours doesnt thats a travesty to biology!! throw that out and complain to your teacher :-P

lol good luck