I got a question about the AP Exams.

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

david10072
Garter
Garter

I got a question about the AP Exams.

Post by david10072 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:03 am

I chose the AP Bio for next year :shock: ,but before I can go into that class. I have to take AP Exams first. Here is my question. How can I study for the Exam? Anybody took one? Can anybody tell me something about the exam, please? I really want to try for the class. Thanks :D

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:38 pm

...usually you take the class before taking the exams, are you sure you're doing it right?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Bio-Hazard
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Bio-Hazard » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:06 pm

http://biology.about.com/od/apforstudents/

I. If you take the exam after

II. If this is an entrance exam. AKA staff don't think you're good enough for this course.

I.
Either way, I suggest you read through the book each day. Do as much as you can each day. Better yet, if you can, read the whole book before class starts. If you're worrying about multiple courses, read like 20 pages Bio, 20 pages English, 20 pages etc,

Making everything even is the way to succeed in college; have everything level.

Other than that, I seem to be doing something similar. I don't think the course you are taking greatly touches on human biology.

It will cover how cells in different organisms work, not entirely focusing on humans.

I figure much of this will link how cells in an organism work: How cells split apart, how they pass genes, cell basics.

I guess most of this has to do with the eukarotic cell and cells from other domains; the stuff is pretty basic, not like microbiology.

Best thing to do, is to actually learn things from the book. Write down whatever you don't understand. After you write it down, post a question asking about it or research it on the web. Also, write down the things you don't understand on paper in question form, and ask your teacher the questions you wrote down. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

II.

Do your best to learn everything on the websites provided by about.com

Here's a neat thing I learned in college.

After you are done research a topic, usually people have quizzes on the Internet for people to test their knowledge.

Google search things:

Try searching "Mendelian Genetics quiz" or "... ... quizzes"
or.. "osmosis quizzes"

typically there is a keyword that a topic word relates to. Try using that word and search

"keyword quizzes"

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:26 pm

Poison is right, it doesn't make any sense to take an AP exam before the AP course, since the whole point of an AP class is to prepare for an exam. Could you clarify what you mean?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:46 pm

I don't see a reply from poison lol
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

david10072
Garter
Garter

oh..

Post by david10072 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:57 pm

SORRY! guys. I am talking about the entrance exam for AP bio.

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:56 am

mithrilhack wrote:I don't see a reply from poison lol

D'oh!!!! Sorry mithril...

Oh well. My advice is to start reading through the tutorials here, since reading through Campbell is probably overkill for an entrance exam. Try and think of biological processes you see everyday too, like whenever you see a fish try and think of something interesting about it biologically. That's how I kept sharp on my bio in high school.

bookworm29
Garter
Garter

Post by bookworm29 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:42 pm

Cliffs AP biology is the best resource for passing the AP exam.