Hello all,i need help with a experiment question!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Sweet_shelly
Garter
Garter

Hello all,i need help with a experiment question!

Post by Sweet_shelly » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 am

Hello all,
I am in the first year of University and doing Bachelor of Science,this is my first year doing the Biology course.
I have this assignment due next week and it is about proposal of setting up an experimential system to grow protists.
I have been asked to set up my own experimential system to find out how to grow these organisms in the most suitable environment.I have to propose what are the required/best conditions for their growth.

Also to name two conditions that i will like to test.I have to state clearly a hypothesis,prediction and also describe the experimental setup/produres.
Can someone please give me some suggestions about this experiment.

I will be very apprecited
Thanks
:D

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:24 am

My suggestion:
first find a model organism that you would like to work with and find the suitable conditions for culture. You will probably find detailed protocols for this. After that yo amy find some more details on the life cycle of your favorite organism and this will give you ideas on what kind of conditions you want to play with. It could be related to nutritionnal requirements, environmental (temperature, atmosphere etc.) conditions or you can test effects of some chemicals (antibiotics, mutagen, disinfectants etc.). From the info you have gathered before you may already have some ideas of the effect (increased temperature goes with increased multiplication rate for example). and you will be able to suggest the expected outcome and the way to test for this.

Good luck
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Sweet_shelly
Garter
Garter

Post by Sweet_shelly » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:52 am

Thanks Patrick for your help
I think that first i should think of two best conditions that i will like to test and then state the hypothesis and the prediction.