Bacteria

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

LadyBlue
Garter
Garter

Bacteria

Post by LadyBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:09 pm

In relation to chemical reactions and metabolism why are some bacteria are able to live in hot springs (>70*c) while others are more suited to live in us (~35*c). If anyone could help me with this question, I would be really grateful.

mmiaosmiling
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by mmiaosmiling » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:16 am

It may depend on their DNA polymerizing enzyme.
enzyme used in PCR proceeding extracted from Thermus aquati works most efficiently at the temperature of 75-78.
hi everyone...

ldguo
Garter
Garter

Post by ldguo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 am

I think this is relation to their gene!

Trev
Garter
Garter

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:28 pm

This kind of organisms (thermophilic) have another lipids in thier cell membrane.
microbiologist, climber, snowboarder.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:43 pm

Cell membrance, cytosol enzymes etc
They all are adapted to the temperature.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:45 am

have heard thermophilic bacteria?
they are ancient bacteria... you know long time ago the temperatura of this earth(include its surface) is at high temperature. they born at that condition, so why not we can accept that they live at such kind condition?

bacterias which can not survive at high temp. are not contioned to that. many of them are the modern bacteria....

supernova^
Garter
Garter

Post by supernova^ » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:11 pm

But why do their proteins not denaturate?

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:29 am

As I understand it, organisms that live in extremely high temperatures/pressures have proteins that have a special structure helps them to resist such adverse conditions. It's possible that they have a slightly different composition than regular proteins as well, but I'm less sure of that. I'd say that it's most likely their conformation, but it's also possible that the answer is unknown as of yet.

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:39 am

Thermophilic organisms or hyperthermophilic organisms have xceptionally stable proteins Some are stable for hours at 100C. Basically lots of salt bridges in the protein helps the thermostability

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:52 am

and also because they are thermophylic, we ussually can not observe them. you know when my master working on it, she disable to make it for several time.....(i do not know the lastest news. I got this info. 6 months ago...)the problem is the bacteria always evolve to another species if the condition is not the same when we pick them from their habitat.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:30 pm

kiekyon wrote:Thermophilic organisms or hyperthermophilic organisms have xceptionally stable proteins Some are stable for hours at 100C. Basically lots of salt bridges in the protein helps the thermostability

they're also supported by their cecll membrane which are made from phynthanyl phosphate which is linked by ether bonds. This kind of bonds is stable in high or extreme temperature..unlike ester bonds..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.