a question about yeast! Can you help me?thank you!

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ldguo
Garter
Garter

a question about yeast! Can you help me?thank you!

Post by ldguo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:20 pm

I am a beginner about yeast. I want to identify some yeasts. But I don't know which book is up to the minute so far. Please introduce to me, thank you very much!

Nithin
Garter
Garter

Post by Nithin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:15 pm

"Saccharomyces" derives from Greek, and means "sugar mold". "Cerevisiae" comes from Latin, and means "of beer". Other names for the organism are:
1- Brewer's yeast (the apostrophe may be missing or after the s), though other species are also used in brewing
2- Ale yeast
3- Top-fermenting yeast
4- Baker's yeast (the apostrophe may be missing or after the s)
5- Budding yeast

Common baker’s yeast is usedused to leaven bread. Saccharomyces cerevisiae is known as a top-fermenting yeast. It is one of the major types of yeast used in the brewing of beer (along with Saccharomyces carlsbergensis and Brettanomyces sp.), so called because during the fermentation process it rises to top of the fermentation vessel. Beers that use top-fermenting yeast are called ales, and for that reason these yeasts are also sometimes called "ale yeasts".
Bottom-fermenting yeast, Saccharomyces uvarum, ferments at quite cool temperatures, 7-12°C.
This is in brief about this and that about yeast in general. You will find about yeast in most of the industrial and fungal microbiology books. But no need to search for them if you do not have any. You will find a lot of information on the net.
NITHIN

Known to human mind is a handful,
Unknown is a galaxy!!!

After you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth

ldguo
Garter
Garter

Post by ldguo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:05 am

thank you very much!