The human body drained of it's salt

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Melychath
Garter
Garter

The human body drained of it's salt

Post by Melychath » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:53 am

So . . . crazy question here, hopefully I can get some feedback.

If I were to create (of course, this is hypothetical, I will be using this information for a story I am writing, no worries) an organism that was capable of invading the human body, and was programmed to consume all of the salt from witihin the human body, would that person die, and if so, what terrible things might that person experience on their journey toward death as their bodies were drained of the salt?

Let me thank all responders in advance as this will greatly assist me in the formation of a specific area of my story.

Melek Tachath El Elyon

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:32 am

Oh yeah, you will die because salt is essential. We need electrolytes, even though salt isn't only one. I don't think salt loss would be outward noticable though before you died from its loss. You would probably feel really bad and get sick before die.

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:34 pm

Wouldn't the adrenal glands
be the first to be affected?
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Na concentration in the body is connectet with evry secondary active transport transport system we have.
Plus, it is directly connected with the activity of neurons and muscles. A neuron can't do anything without Na, so if there were no Na in the body you would die in a few minutes from asphixiation.

However, consuming salt is an impossible thing. Salt has no real energy. Onless your organism used chemosynthesis.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Melychath
Garter
Garter

Post by Melychath » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:58 am

Interesting. So, I'm at work tomorrow and all at once the salt in my body decides to pack its' bags and leave, I would soon thereafter experience, and die from asphixiation?
What if the salt dissipated faster than it could be replaced, what long term effects might I face prior to death (hypothetically)?
And finally, is asking this question most appropriate using the term "salt," or would an educated person ask of "sodium?"
So far the responses are great! Thanks!
M'Elychath

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:08 pm

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Melychath
Garter