Basic Question

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ajay
Garter
Garter

Basic Question

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:13 pm

Is the gene sequence which codes for hair protein in one individual is the same for the other ?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:27 pm

Well, do we all have the same hair color?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Ajay
Garter
Garter

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:07 pm

Ok let me redefine my question . How about in people with the same hair colour ?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:29 pm

Well, in 2 individuals with the same hair color a genetics book will tell you yes.
I am skeptical about this.the hair of someone who has lived all his life in the sun will get a little darker than that of someone with the same gene sequence who has lived at the north pole. So, if you ask me, i would say it is possible for 2 people to have the same hair color and different genotypes but only if they have lived their lives in very different environments.
So, it really depends how deep you go in studying the issue..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Ajay
Garter
Garter

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:01 pm

During forensic investigations the culprit's hair obtained in the crime scene is used to compare with suspects hair. So whether this means tat the gene sequence of hair is unique in all individuals.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:32 pm

Ooooooooo... I didn't understand your question.
The hair folicle contains cells with viable DNA. And by doing all sorts of lab tests, geneticians are able to determine whether the hair at the crime scene is exactly like the DNA of the suspect.
As an answer: yes, hair folicle cells contain the same DNA as all the other cells in your body. But their are not the same in all individuals, or else, the test wouldn't have any importance, no?