food craving

For discussing the functions of different structures of all organisms.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

food craving

Post by kiekyon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:23 am

just curious, but why do we sometimes crave for some food even when we are not hungry??

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:36 am

What I have read about this is that the brain will
send signals to
crave certain foods that are high in a nutrient or
chemical that the body is low/lacking.
One common food that is craved being chocolate,
just happens to have magnesium and serotonin.
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:28 am

wow, u mean it is actually a good thing??

VeenaandNivyah
Coral
Coral

Post by VeenaandNivyah » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 am

That happens sometimes due to appetising smell of a food item or also b'coz of its yummy taste. You know what I mean :lol:

ggg15ff
Garter
Garter

craving foods

Post by ggg15ff » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:40 am

Why is it we crave certain foods when we dont even know what they taste like? :?
For Example - coal

Thanks very much :)

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: craving foods

Post by Linn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:20 pm

ggg15ff wrote:Why is it we crave certain foods when we dont even know what they taste like? :?
For Example - coal
Interesting
that is a good question.
We probably have gotton small bits of coal in our
systems in the past and so the brain has been able
to identify it and what it is usefull for in correcting
chemical imbalances etc...

some kids crave paste or paper in school too!

Coal would pull toxic chemicals out of the body.
that is called chelation.

]
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:30 pm

I agree with Linn, I remember reading about chidren with lead poisoning having an intense desire to eat dirt, to get minerals that can help counteract the poisonous effects of the lead.

nugget
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by nugget » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:26 pm

hey yall

just a note about chocolate, i was distracted in the library the other day, i always find myself reading books clearly divergent of the research i need to do (the same way perhaps that this reply is going so far) but i came across a book about the craving of chocolate and various other things, their study also included women, and women during their menstrual cyclem and it was saying how seriously the magnesium content in chocolate is relatively small compared to other supplements. I think it has to do with taste personally i think things that taste good = a type of pleasure, and whether u are already feeling pleased or in need of pleasing chocolate is a great alternative. they were also bold enough to state that it was like an alternative to love ! ha
sometimes science and chemistry take out the fun of the mystery of emotions. We are a bunch of chemical reactions ? lol

happy foruming ppl

btw i, a previous chocoholic havent touched the stuff in months and i find it easier to not eat it at all than to limit myself to one square ! bah one square :roll: haha

but with other cravings i would agree that most often than not it is your body telling you what u need!! listen to it =) (unless it craves deep fried food dunno what u need there) its an amazing machine hey?

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:52 pm

With deep fried stuff contains a lot of fat...
My professor told our class about a thought on why people crave fat and sugar which is not good for you
Back in the day when we were running around naked and looking for food it was not easy to find or catch large animals. When we did find a mammoth you had to eat as much as you could quickly because it would be bad in so many days. So, if we eat things that tasted fatty and sweet it would give us the most calories, which is what we needed then. I mean, you mostly had vegetation and small things to eat in more abundance that would give you more nutrition but not enough calories for energy.
Just thought I would share, I thought it was interesting.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

kabuto
Coral
Coral

Post by kabuto » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:37 am

chocolate contain mood-influencing chemical like serotonin and magnesium and tryptophan

bionewbie
Coral
Coral

Post by bionewbie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:48 am

It is also true that women will get an increase craving for those chocolates during their menstural period.
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. ~ E. B. White

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:55 am

I crave olive stuffed with garlic clove and jalepeno pepper. They are very good, but I only found one time and very expensive.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.