help on nomenclature

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ainise
Garter
Garter

help on nomenclature

Post by ainise » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:06 am

Could anyone tell me if, on a scientific paper, it is more correct to write words with latin origin (e.g. taxon, taxa, versus) in italics or in normal font?
I usually write them in italics but some journals say to use italics only for species' names.
Is there any criteria?

Thanks

Djpatrick
Garter
Garter

Re: help on nomenclature

Post by Djpatrick » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:36 pm

ainise wrote:Could anyone tell me if, on a scientific paper, it is more correct to write words with latin origin (e.g. taxon, taxa, versus) in italics or in normal font?
I usually write them in italics but some journals say to use italics only for species' names.
Is there any criteria?

Thanks

According to ICZN- International code for zoological nomenclature both genus as well as species name should be in italics. In the printed material scientific name will be in italics while writing both genus and species name should be underlined seperately.

ainise
Garter
Garter

Re: help on nomenclature

Post by ainise » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks for your reply.
In fact, my doubt concerned the use of latin words (namely, "taxon" and "taxa") and not the nomenclature of scientific names.

According to ICZN- International code for zoological nomenclature both genus as well as species name should be in italics. In the printed material scientific name will be in italics while writing both genus and species name should be underlined seperately.
[/quote]

Beetle
Coral
Coral

Post by Beetle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:46 am

As I know only latin name of speacies and genus in zoology should be writen italic. All other use of italic could bring confusion. I recomend you not to use italic for taxon and taxa since they only have latin origin and are not used as latin word per se.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world" J. Hatfiled

ainise
Garter
Garter

Post by ainise » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Thank you!

:)