General Cell

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

General Cell

Post by biology_06er » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi

This is probably gonna sound like a dumb question but I'll justify myself by saying I'm a first year uni student who has never taken biology before and just finished high school last year :? ...so my question

You know how humans/animals/plants are all made up of millions of cells well when we talk about a cell making a specific protein and their specific functions well does this mean every single cell is the same???...Do you guys get what I mean???

Thanks
biology_06er

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:37 pm

No, every single cell is not the same. or else we wouldn't be a multicellular organism, we would be a colony of single-cell organisms.
Cells undergo diferentiation during their development from the zygote. In primitive animals and plants only a few types of cells exist. In more evolved animals like humans, there are more than 200 types of cells, all grouped into tissues

PS: I am not even a uni student, i'm in high school :p
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

Post by biology_06er » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:43 pm

[quote="PS: I am not even a uni student, i'm in high school :p[/quote]

braaainy...However maybe if I had taken bio in High school at least some of the info. the lectuer gives might be familiar but noooo. :( oh how I regret not taking bio.

Anyway thank you for your prompt reply..much appreciated

biology_06er