PCR...????

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bass_lasso9
Garter
Garter

PCR...????

Post by bass_lasso9 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:54 am

could anybody explain me what PCR is...??? and how's the process...??? and what's the main purpose of PCR..???

I've been trying to read and learn in so many books but i still cannot get the point of that...

So please... anybody.. Thank's Be4.. :?

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:50 pm

Hey Bass!

I'm not sure how indepth you want me to describe PCR.. cuz, I don't know how much background you've already had on this subject ... here is a brief description (please reply if you need a more ... in depth/molecular explanation)....

PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is a method that amplifies (or produces many copies) of a target/desired fragment of DNA. This is accomplished by using a DNA polymerase (Taq polymerase) that accurately copies DNA thereby producing numberous copies of DNA from very few original (template) DNA fragments.

You can generate a billion copies of a desired piece of DNA from 1 original copy (template) of DNA by performing PCR.

Here is a good resource:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction

... if things still aren't clear please write again and me (or someone else) can go through each step with you.

best wishes!
- KIM