chromosome walking?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

LilKim
Coral
Coral

chromosome walking?

Post by LilKim » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 am

I've had a really difficult time grasping the whole concept of chromosome walking ... I was wondering if anyone knew of a really good and SIMPLE resource that contained a good semi-detailed explanation of the protocol ..... (i'm just having a really tough time visualizing the technique molecularly... )

So, if you know of a excellent textbook, journal article or internet resource could you please let me know???

thanks!
- KIM

p.s. Cartoons and drawings are a total plus!

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:17 am

Here is good start.

To put it in my own words:
1- Construction of a genomic library of the organism of interest.
2- Use the gene of interest as a probe to select the clones of the library containing the gene plus the neighbouring sequences.
3- sequence the clone
4- use sequence to create a new probe as far as possible of the old one.
5- start again from step 2.

Sorry no drawings/cartoons.
Invitrogen produce an alternative system (genewalker, you will find detailed drawing on their site).

Hope this helps.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey thanks for the message!

Yeah, I understand it at a very superficial level ... it's just that I feel like I'm "missing something" ... And, it might really just be "in my head" but; it's kinda unsettling.

I actually need to understand "old-fashioned" chrom. walking .. like how they did it back in the 80's (before HGP)... My final for my molec. genetics class is a take home ... and apparently the teacher has been bragging that he's going to make it soo tough that we won't be able to "google" anything on it ... (so I KNOW that I SHOULD be concerned about ANYTHING that I can't learn/teach-myself.)

I've tried approaching him about other questions that i've had in class (after-class) and he usually isn't particularly helpful (he believes that we should be able to figure it out at this stage???) It's just really REALLY frustrating.

Anyways, I think i'm just gonna go talk to a plant biology guy here. He's an awesome teacher and he'll probably be able to break-id-down and re-explain it to me (for the 50th time) in a way that I don't feel like i'm "missing something"

nevertheless... thanks for the help ... and the suggestings... I'll check out the invitrogen site ... maybe that's all I need?

all the best!
- KIM