cell organelle structure

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kpatel
Garter
Garter

cell organelle structure

Post by kpatel » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:36 am

Does Vacuole contain lipid bilayer structure?

th1_rhs13
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by th1_rhs13 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:19 am

I may be wrong, but I doubt it as the Vacule's is only purpose is to dispose waste witin the cell. The only other particles or chemicals found within vacule are Cell sap, pigments. Why would you need a lipid to yield this outcome, or rather how would it aid its process?

Again, Botany is somthing I never delved into, aside from the minor NECCESARY mandates I had to adhere in my previous classes. My book states the very same.

Edit: This compelled me to look over my old notes, and from what i can tell it posses the same endomembrane that the SER, RER, Golgi appratus have. So Vacules only have a single layer.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:34 pm

Lol... Single layer? There is no such thing, not in a living cell of course. A lipid bilayer is the normal structure of any biological membrane, with 2 layers of phospholipds, so yes the vacuole does have a lipid bilayer membrane(it is called the tonoplast).
There are some organelles with a double membrane, like mitocondria and plastids, but these have 2 lipid bilayers. Same thing goes for the nucleus.
PS: since a vacuole has a ph of 1.5-2, can you imagine what would mean for the vacuole to lack a membrane? ...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

th1_rhs13
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by th1_rhs13 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:59 am

Yeah botany... not my strongest suit. Thanks for the correction.

In fact what I wrote doesn't make any sense! Absurd... I don't know on what tangent I was going on about. No one try nyquil and antihistamines to rid an illness whilst in final weeks or you too may undergo the same state.