expiration,.... enzymes

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

isabell
Garter
Garter

expiration,.... enzymes

Post by isabell » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 pm

i have a doubt in expiration the air compared to the air we breathed, it doesnt cool or get warm or gain moisture or loose it, am i correct?

Is there a enzyme responsible for the speeding of reactions involved diffusion of CO2 and oxygen?

i saw theres carbaminohemoglobin, bicarbonase and oxyhemoglobin and the one that makes more sense to me is carbonic anhydrase but im not sure.
does someone out there has a better idea?,
thanks

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: expiration,.... enzymes

Post by canalon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm

isabell wrote:i have a doubt in expiration the air compared to the air we breathed, it doesnt cool or get warm or gain moisture or loose it, am i correct?

Make a simple test: Go out, or in your freezer if it's warm and clamy outside (lucky you, it's freezing in Canada), and consider how moist and the temperature of air. Now breathe in a few minutes and consider moisture content of exhaled air, and its temperature.
Conclusion?
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

isabell
Garter
Garter

Post by isabell » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:24 pm

im in Canada too, but i did it in my freezer and i feel it is warm and gained moisture

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:32 pm

Yes, so it does get moist and warm. Because you are heating it with your body temperature (in fact it already start to warm from the upper repiratory tract, to protect your lungs). The water simply come from the humidity inside your lungs (the air is relatively dryer than your lungs which is made of thin epithelium to help diffusion of gas).

As for enzyme, sorry I can't help, I really don't know.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)