Cancer and Tumor

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ShortLaxPlayer15
Garter
Garter

Cancer and Tumor

Post by ShortLaxPlayer15 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:26 pm

I know that a cancerous group of cells get their own blood vessels via Angiogenesis. But I was wondering why it is that if you stop the blood vessels from getting to the cancer, that the cancer doesn't die? Because cells only have a very short life span and wouldn't they just eventually die? I was also wondering how a tumor could be "inactive" because wouldn't it just die off also? Thanks for answering my questions!

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Your point is what some people are working on. Researchers are working for stopping the vessel formation to cancer tissues.
I don't think "die" is a correct term for cancer cells. They continuesly divide and form daughter cells. Can this be considered as death? Can be discussed.
What do you mean by inactive?
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

ShortLaxPlayer15
Garter
Garter

Cancer and Tumor

Post by ShortLaxPlayer15 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:06 pm

What I mean by inactive is that it isn't growing but yet it's still there. But if there is an active one by it that gets removed then the inactive one becomes active.

jeffrey
Garter
Garter

Post by jeffrey » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:00 pm

well, i am not sure about the meaning of "stop the blood vessels from getting to the cancer". is that just like cutting tumor out from body.
if so, i think it works for curing cancer. but under very bad situation, tumor cells can spread to other parts of body very quickly. so, it is impossible to cut all of them.
certain medicine can stop the path of cancer cell's mitotic division at perticular phase, but not kill them. if medicine can kill cancer cells, they can be killer to normal cells also. cancer cells can still recieve blood supply. and i think these medicines are also bad for normal immunosystem of body. so, one can not take them as daily meals.

ShortLaxPlayer15
Garter
Garter

Cancer and Tumor

Post by ShortLaxPlayer15 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:58 am

No that isn't what I meant. What I meant was that by angiogenesis. (which is the growth of new blood vessels - is an important natural process occurring in the body, both in health and in disease.) There is a type of chemical which your cells produce that keep the cells from getting blood cells but when they are cancerous cells then they don't produce enough of that chemical and start producing another kind of chemical which make blood vessels grow twords the cancerous cell. Thats how the cencerous cell really starts to grow. But they are looking into a medicine in which it produces a chemical to keep the blood vessels from growing to the cancerous cell. Does that make sense?

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:10 pm

Well, tumor cells release TAF (tumor angiogenesis factor) which triggers the growing of blood vessels on them. So? ;)

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28 pm

"well, i am not sure about the meaning of "stop the blood vessels from getting to the cancer". is that just like cutting tumor out from body.
if so, i think it works for curing cancer. but under very bad situation, tumor cells can spread to other parts of body very quickly. so, it is impossible to cut all of them. "

No, that is not what he/she meant.Cancel tissues makes the body produce extra vessels. Because their metabolism is high and so they need more glucose.

@ShortLaxPlayer15:
I haven't heard about it. I will try to find something on it.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:02 am

nah, just bombard those cancer cells with carbon nanotubes...:twisted:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.