How to sample earthworm

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sham
Garter
Garter

How to sample earthworm

Post by sham » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:19 am

What is the best way/chemical that can be used so that earthworm can rise to the surface for easy sampling? Please help.
Sham

asutoshsahu
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by asutoshsahu » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:05 am

make the soil wet by pouring water

Have you ever done during gardening?

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:27 pm

I am not sure about this but earthworms are easy to find in rainy season because their holes get filled with water and they have to come out the other way[This is purely a guess] is to pour salt water because salt water irritates the skin of the earthworm.You might try it and it would be nice if you could say the result.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Take a rather large piece of cardboard, carpet, or an old rug even and soak it with water thoroughly. Place it on the ground, preferably in the shade of a tree or underneath the branches or on the ground along the northern side of your home. Usually by the next day or in a couple of days, you will have a sufficent amount of earthworms, provided the temperatures are not cold. This method does not harm the worms and you should find more than enough of them. If you do, then go fishing! :D
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Yeah, when we go fishing and want worms, the night before we pick a good 'spot' maybe one that doesn't have as much grass, and pour a few huge buckets of water in a small area. If they arn't on top by morning, you can dig just a little ways and find a lot. If you use salt water, remember it will kill the plants/grass that you pour it on.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Be careful not to injur the worm, or you will have animal protection all over you...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sham
Garter
Garter

Post by sham » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 am

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I wanted to do research on population of earthworm in relation to soil fertility. I heard about using mustard or KMnO4 and pouring it onto the soil so that the earthworm rise to the surface and therefore easy to count. I have tried mustard but it doesnt work (maybe wrong concentration). I rather not use KMnO4 because it contaminate the earth. Please help.

Sham
P/s. If I obtain a number of earthworm, I will go fishing.. :lol:

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:24 am

asutoshsahu wrote:make the soil wet by pouring water

Have you ever done during gardening?

Sham I believe the above person gave the answer for you
water does make them come to the surface if
you really drench the soil, especially at night.
That is how I used to collect my worms for fishing :)

and Feb beetle and Ken gave good points too, all those suggestions will bring them to the surface.

As far as chemicals go I would never recommend that. :shock:
Lynne
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

sham
Garter
Garter

Post by sham » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:29 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. Will try it out. BTW I am from Malaysia, a hot and humid country but with lots of ex-mining pools good for fishing.
Sham

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:10 am

Here is an unusual tactic for bringing earthworms to the surface, especially in wooded areas. Select a small hardwood tree about three inches +/- .5 diameter. With a saw, cut the tree down leaving about four inches above the soil surface. Then take the saw and "lightly" saw the stump on top till it begins to vibrate. If you move the leaves back a bit you will find numerous earthworms coming to the surface, usually all around you. :o

Now I do not intend to get into a big ecology discussion on forestry and tree hugging. This is just something that was shown to me years ago by some nice simple country folks back in the mountains. :D
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study