Please Help With Assignment!

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

js_magee
Garter
Garter

Please Help With Assignment!

Post by js_magee » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi everyone I'm new here but really need some help on an assignment!

"Do you believe that individuals in our society generally aim for random union of male and female gametes? What are the genetic advantages and disadvantges or arranged matings? Alternatively do you believe that human society has evolved behavioural patters that avoid this randomness in long term mates - a feature of our cultures of which we may be unaware?"

I know its really long, but im really stuck and cant find any info on the internet! Any help with the questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:31 pm

Let me ask you, would you randomly date any person or do you look for specific traits such as physical attractiveness?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

js_magee
Garter
Garter

Post by js_magee » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:27 pm

well yeah you look for specific traits that you are attracted to. but does that just mean that generally men and woman dont aim for random union, they choose carefully what they want?

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:37 pm

I chose very carefully, and so do many other people I know. So yes, we do choose carefully, and we have to. We don't just mate with the first prospect that comes along like some animals; instead, we mate for life, so we have to choose carefully because our entire lives hinge on that decision.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Mate for life? You haven't seen the divorce rate...
If we're lucy, we mait for life :lol:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm aware of the divorce rate, but humans in general still want to mate for life or else they wouldn't get married in the first place. 99% of people still believe that a marriage should be (though sadly not always is) "till death do us part." So we still want to mate for life, and most people don't just automatically mate with the first prospect that comes along. Though sometimes people do make poor choices, and sometimes people marry someone they probably shouldn't.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count