Protein inhibitors

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Protein inhibitors

Post by GreenDog » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:02 pm

How can I find a specific inhibitor of a certain protein?
"When In Danger Or In Doubt Run In Circles Scream And Shout"
Lawrence J. Peter

Helix
Garter
Garter

Post by Helix » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:02 pm

I guess when you use for instance a crude protein extract for cytokine induction by eukaryotic cells, you can use specific antibodies against your protein to inhibit its activity.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:26 pm

It depends on what kind of protein you're working with. An enzyme? An ion channel? etc
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:25 am

I can think one example of protein (in this term, an enzyme) inhibitors...
Let's just make the sample is haemoglobine.
If we see from it's structure, Hb has Fe2+ substance attached into heme (total 4 hemes)...this fe2+ is used to bind O2 because of it's reactivity with O2 to form complex of Hb-ligands.
So, from this, we can find the proper substance to change the ligand (in this term, just make it CN- ion) so it will be a complex of: Hb-CN (that's what I call inhibitors :lol: ).
actually, we can think another sobstance that can perform this kind of action such as CO, NO2, and others....

well, that's what I think of enzyme's competitive inhibitors... :D correct me if I'm wrong...
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:38 pm

enzymes have competitive inhibition, allosteric inhibition, retroinhibition etc. But the situation is more complex when you are working with big proteins, such as the Na/K pump. By the way, NA/K pump inhibitors are digitonine and oubaine... :lol:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter