GMR

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

gumshoes_15
Garter
Garter

GMR

Post by gumshoes_15 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:52 am

From reading RESULTS AND DISCUSSION in this website http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/3/506S. I don't get how is rice genetically modified. The part i don't get is where is it taken place. In the bacteria or is it in the rice endosperm. And how is bacteria and endosperm is involved. I get the process of the enzyme, just the bacteria and the endosperm that i seem to have trouble understanding. Can u pls explain it to me? Like i don't get the process of the bacteria and how it;s tranformed?

Retsetevets
Garter
Garter

GM Rice

Post by Retsetevets » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:01 pm

I have an idea where bacteria would be involved in this process. They would isolate a gene from an organism that has high vitamin a (such as a tulip flower) and put it into bacteria to see if it was the correct gene. If the bacteria produced vitamin A then they would have the correct gene.

They would then insert this gene into a rice plant (into the region that is responsible for endosperm production) and voila: Golden Rice - rich in vitamin A as well as all the other nutrients.

gumshoes_15
Garter
Garter

Re: GM Rice

Post by gumshoes_15 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Retsetevets wrote:I have an idea where bacteria would be involved in this process. They would isolate a gene from an organism that has high vitamin a (such as a tulip flower) and put it into bacteria to see if it was the correct gene. If the bacteria produced vitamin A then they would have the correct gene.

They would then insert this gene into a rice plant (into the region that is responsible for endosperm production) and voila: Golden Rice - rich in vitamin A as well as all the other nutrients.

But then the golden rice didn't really fulfilled its promise. People needs to eat a tremendous amount to consume enough vitamin A. http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/3/506S

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 am

well isn't it a good step toward the right direction?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr