dominance , codominance and incomplete dominance?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lohita
Death Adder
Death Adder

dominance , codominance and incomplete dominance?

Post by lohita » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:13 pm

Explain in your words the meaning of the dominance , codominance and incomplete dominance? :?

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by thank.darwin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:59 pm

Next time lohita please don't write "hi!" for your subject... thank-you
No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.
-Albert Einstein

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:06 pm

Hear they are in simple words:
Dominance: the phenotype is determined by only one gene, called dominant gene. The other one is recesive
Codominance: in the genes for determining the blood type the gene for type A and the gene for type B. together, form a new phenotype: AB
Incomplete dominance: if you cross pea with white flowers with pea with red flowers you get pink flowers. It is a sort of dominance, but not exactly
Regards,
Andrew
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

UHtrackTee
Garter
Garter

Codominance:Incomplete dominance

Post by UHtrackTee » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:25 am

MrMistery:
I notice that you didn't really give a defination of Codominance. I surpose the person you are answering to just asked you to put it in your own words. In addition, you said of incomplete Dominance is "It is a sort of dominance, but not exactly" thats seems like a strange way to talk about something. its almost like about a mexican and saying he/she is sort of White but not exactly. Incomplete Dominance as i understand it, is a blend of the alleles.
T

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:52 am

Of course these are our words, have you tried using yours?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

UHtrackTee
Garter
Garter

Post by UHtrackTee » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:00 am

I am not sure if you were talking to me... I was not point was not to stop using your own words but merely saying you weren't not being clear. And the answer to your question if i have tried using my own: is YES. Perhaps clearing things up seem not to be amongst the platform on this blog. assuming of course there is one at all.
In addition a Phenotype is NOT determine by the genotype alone.

T

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 pm

We do not force people to accept our definitons, if you didn't like it go and buy a biology dictionary rather than criticizing people.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

UHtrackTee
Garter
Garter

Post by UHtrackTee » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:47 am

I think you guys have it wrong, my intention was not to criticized. my intention was to make matters clear. But my apologies if you guys saw it that way.
ENJOY
T

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:40 pm

OK. So thanks for your post. You expessed your opinions.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:16 am

By pure coincidence I was reading about this subject yesturday (which was like a hr ago).

Here are my definitions:

Dominance: Both alleles are expressed but the proteins products of one allele affects the phenotype much more strongly than the other. The result is from an unmicroscopic view, the person has the phenotype of the dominant allele.

Codominance: Both alleles are dominant and so their protein products both contribute to the phenotype fully, as in the eg MrMistery put.

Incomplete dominance: Both alleles are neither dominante or recessive and both their protein products show up phenotypically but not completely, like in MrMistery's eg.

09MillerLr
Garter
Garter

Post by 09MillerLr » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:17 pm

Poison wrote:We do not force people to accept our definitons, if you didn't like it go and buy a biology dictionary rather than criticizing people.

I agree i am new on this site and i feel bye just looking at this site for like 5 minutes that all of you guys are competing to be right isn't that what nerds do..

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:00 am

09MillerLr wrote:
Poison wrote:We do not force people to accept our definitons, if you didn't like it go and buy a biology dictionary rather than criticizing people.

I agree i am new on this site and i feel bye just looking at this site for like 5 minutes that all of you guys are competing to be right isn't that what nerds do..

Hey, that's not fair. I'm new here too, and it looks like people here are just trying to help others. And everyone replies with information that you can just google yourself if you want.