i have a question about bacteria

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

AlIcIa
Garter
Garter

i have a question about bacteria

Post by AlIcIa » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:35 am

hey whats up!!!!! i only joined this website because i'v never been good at science and i never will be and i looked everywhere and i can find a straight answer from anywhere but here it is " how quickly can bactteria reproduce?" and "why are bacteria so successful" :shock:

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:58 am

The reason that you can't find a straight answer is because there isn't a single answer to those questions. Bacteria can reproduce quickly, but different kinds can reproduce at different rates. Bacteria are successful for a number of reasons, but I'd say that one of the best ones is that they reproduce quickly in general and mutate frequently, so they can quickly overcome various environmental stresses.

chepay118
Garter
Garter

In addition also:

Post by chepay118 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:38 am

Bacteria reproduction is chiefly by binary fission, cell division yielding identical daughter cells. Some bacteria reproduce by budding or fragmentation. Despite the fact that these processes should produce identical generations, the rapid rate of mutation possible in bacteria makes them very adaptable.

:D
chepay118