about fermentation

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

baikuza
Coral
Coral

about fermentation

Post by baikuza » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:06 am

greeting.

yesterday, I am surprized that the fermented food using yeast is heated. I get my food become warmed. the condition is, I broke the cover that makes the yeast wil not get any oxygen, so it is aerob-i think.
by the way I found it still growing but it does not have the structure that i want to make a food that i wanted.
so... several time ago, i post that fermentation will not occurs if there still some axygen in the system.
my question. am I still right?

army
Garter
Garter

Post by army » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:56 am

Can't understand exactly the condition u explained.

:cry:

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:36 pm

same with me...confused with your question...but I'll try to answer it. I can think that, warming it is just to speed up fermentation (of course not until 100ºC !!!). And the fermentation doesn't occur when you unwrapped the food cover because fermentation occur when O2 is not present...

Well, that's what I can think of...sorry if I misunderstood your question..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Nithin
Garter
Garter

Post by Nithin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:04 am

Confused with your post!!
Nevertheless I will try to help you.
Yeast is a facultative anaerob. This is a jargon for an organism which is preferably aerobic but can survive in anaerobic conditions.
The main aim of yeast is growth regardless of the condition wether aerobic or anaerobic. When yeast grows aerobicaly it takes up the free atmospheric oxygen and grows, but in anaerobic condition yeast can grow only in the presence of fermentable material such as sucrose(sugar). The chemical formula for sucrose is C6H12O6(That you very well know). The yeast takes the Oxygen required from the sugar molecule(remember O6 in sugar).
But anaerobic reaction in the presence of non fermentable material seems theoritically impossible even though the reaction continues at a very negligible pace.

I did not understand your question very clearly, sorry if this post has not cleared up your doubts.
:? :(