yeast! what is it and how does it work?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

JimmyC
Garter
Garter

yeast! what is it and how does it work?

Post by JimmyC » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:38 pm

what is yeast? how does it respire? how does it gain nutrition?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:12 pm

Look it up in your textbook. Or wikipedia or wherever. Do your homework please. Here we answer questions that you won't find easily, we do not provide homework to go.
And being polite doesn't hurt either....
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Nithin
Garter
Garter

Post by Nithin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 am

I guess the Moderator is right. Instead of opening this forum webpage, then entering your login id and password, and then clicking on the respective topic, you can just simply search google which is just one or 2 clicks max away. And of course you will have difficulties which will be answered by the experts in this forum....

Try google next time

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 pm

Not just to save you a few clicks but because the questions are so general that it will need many pages of explanation to answer. And we cannot provide that, but there is plenty on the web. The wikipedia would be a good start.
But as Nithin stated, come back with specific problems, and then we will do our best to help.
Patrick

JimmyC
Garter
Garter

Post by JimmyC » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:47 pm

you are just saying that because you don't actually know!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:13 pm

You're right JimmyC. He's just a PhD in microbiology, what does he know about things like this?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:07 pm

Actually I don't know a lot about Yeast, their nucleus (Hint for JimmyC) make them too "complicated" for me. Bacteria are more fun.

Nevertheless I am very interested in some practical use of those Organisms, mostly in bakery and winery, much less relating to brewery.
Patrick

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:09 am

It would have been easier to search on google or wikipedia than pasting a message on here and waiting. Especially as yeast is an organism used throughtout the world in many experiments and also in the food science industry as you may know.
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!

Nithin
Garter
Garter

Post by Nithin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:47 pm

Most of us know the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae better as brewers or bakers yeast. In the ensuing 8000 years, this fungus played a central role in food production and conservation thanks to its ability to ferment glucose to ethanol and carbon-dioxide. But not only being useful in daily brewers and bakers practice, yeast, as a simple, unicellular eukaryote developed to a unique powerful model system for biological research. Its prominent useful features are the cheap and easy cultivation, short generation times, the detailed genetic and biochemical knowledge accumulated in many years of research and the ease of the application of molecular techniques for its genetic manipulation. Therefore, this organism provides a highly suitable system to study basic biological processes that are relevant for many other higher eukaryotes including man. After the determination of the complete genomes of two prokaryotes, M. genitalium and H. influencae, the first complete genomic DNA sequence of an eukaryote has been unraveled as a result of a worldwide scientific collaboration. Bioinformatics has helped to assemble the DNA sequence of the sixteen chromosomes and to extract the amino acid sequences of more than 6000 open reading frames (ORFs) with a length of more than 99 amino acids.

Does that satisfy you??
It took me 5 sec. Spend some more time than me and you will do better. Good Luck!!!