Mutliple Ancestral Proto-cell Hypothesis

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 am

Well I think that death evolved really in very old times and this was caused due to a lethal mutation which was inherited by all its successors.This organism should have been one that was quite complex and the ancestor of all plants and animals which have death and not aging.Aging is even seen in organisms that have potential immortality.At this junction the lethal mutation should have affected aging process that is an organism that is aged too much will perish as this gene could only affect during a weak stage.It is like the evolution of venom in snakes already had fangs and saliva but not venom.It was only at a certain stage they aquired venom.Here in this comparison I compare aging with the fangs of the snake and venom as death.I can very well see this is a complex subject any doubts?
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Yes, I think competition is present in all forms and stages of life. What's even more fascinating is altruism. How organisms even down to the most basic of cells can help others at the cost of their own fitness.
When you think of death as a potentially altruistic trait, you can see how it may have truly evolved.