Genetics

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Xgene
Garter
Garter

Post by Xgene » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:51 am

The HIV is a RNA virus. The rate of mutation is high. Hence, it is very difficult to develop an vaccine or a specific drug against it. This is the reason a specific vaccine or drug cannot be developed.

To treat AIDs usually a cocktail of anti viral drugs are given. This drugs usually keep the virus in check. Although there is not a full cure for AIDS. By taking this cocktail of drugs you can keep the virus in check.

There are instances people have developed immunity to HIV. But this is very rare and still research is on process as there are no specific answers why specific individual develop immunity.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 pm

for that specific immunity against HIV, I've heard about it also and I can say that it's related to some kinda like beneficial mutation occured on them..hmm, so lucky..:lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

angel
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Genetics

Post by angel » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:10 am

hemant wrote:Why there is no drugs are invented on AIDS :oops:
wHAT IS THE CATEGORY OF BIRD FLUE VIRUSES :oops:

There are drugs available for AIDS as you came to know. In fact normally a drug takes about 12 years to come to market after R&D, but the AIDS cause was so serious that the first drug was approved in 6-7 years only.
But, really I think the amount of money being used in AIDS research can be divided for some other lethal diseases :(

As for your second questin. The category is H5 9 virus

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:43 pm

Aids is a disease of global proportions. What other diseases would you spend the cash on?
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:05 am

yeah, and the good news is the HIV-1 virus is actually weakening.

perhaps that one is
but isnt there a new varient they think emerging? :?:

The best hope is to understanding those who
are immune to AIDES. That tech is too far away
I guess for humans. :(
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:03 am

checking and sequencing all the antibody of those who're immune to AIDS...I'm sure it's a hard work...but the question is, if we've known about it now, why there's no further actions to do that??? :?

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi
Victor!~!
My guess why they are not doing it now,
being very
difficut )and seemingly impossible for one reason

And the research to find a way to accept the gene

I guess:

"Getting new DNA into a human safely and effectively just isn’t yet a reality. DNA tends to get put into our cells randomly right now. What that means is that the new gene could land anywhere in our DNA.

If it lands in the wrong place, things can go wrong pretty quickly. One of the most common problems is that the body shuts the gene off. The body does this to foreign genes because it treats them like an invader.

Many viruses, like HIV, stick themselves into our DNA. Once this happens, they turn on their genes and crank out harmful proteins. It is usually in the body’s best interest to shut off these sorts of genes.

Sometimes even worse things can happen. In one gene therapy experiment in France, the gene landed in the wrong spot and caused leukemia. How did it do this?

The virus carrying the gene landed near an oncogene. An oncogene is a gene that can cause cancer. By landing next to this oncogene, the virus turned it on and the kids got cancer. "-Dr Barry Star (Stamford U)

And additionly, do you know how much $$$$denaro it would be?
Na-the govs would rather pay in to weapons of mass destruction.

Kill each other instead of cure each other. :(
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:30 pm

:idea: :idea:
just thought I think I am going to post this
at the fiber thread :!: :idea:

BioChemistrySoldier
Garter
Garter

Post by BioChemistrySoldier » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:37 pm

There is defintly a cure to aids but it just to help people to survive properly only for a some years. maybe 5-9 years.
I had the article somewhere i will try to find it and show you.
Dont stop til ya get enough.

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:30 am

We can introduce non-harmful competitors of HIVs [ may be engineered HIVs] in the infected people...which can get into the cells better & more than the harmy HIVs & then reduce the reproduction of Harmy HIVs & slowly eradicate it...At the same time u can administer HAART or some thing mild to in general limit the cell distruction due to lytic viral reproduction by reducing viral count...or use non-lytic viruses as competitors...

& while injection of competitors u must inject a quantity large enough to have them principal cell-infecting viruses in the body of the infected one...
Their injection may also act like cellular-condom [ get it? :wink: ]!

Any ideas..?

please share...

hrushikesh

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:05 pm

For 2810712, I think that your idea might work considering that adenovirus is the first engineered virus for some purposes. But we have to remember that adenovirus is the simple type virus, not like HIV which has a complex system of reverse transcription...:lol: