Genetics

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hemant
Garter
Garter

Genetics

Post by hemant » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Why there is no drugs are invented on AIDS :oops:
wHAT IS THE CATEGORY OF BIRD FLUE VIRUSES :oops:

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:16 pm

1. It's hard
2. Use google.com
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:34 am

Haha, I like your answers. Very short. But kind of mean?
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:34 am

i think drugs for aids do exist.
some are approved by the fda
and more is under testing
however, dont think they are very effective though

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 pm

Of course they exist. it's just that they don't cure. I only know one, which is called AZT. if you want, search the forum, i think victor made a post about this a while back
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:13 am

Aids in the modern world isn't the death sentence as it once was. Unfortunately there isn't a cure out there (that we have been told about(no im not a conspiracy nut lol)) but there are a cocktail of drugs which inhibit the virus so people can still live there lives.
Last edited by Mjhavok on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!

jeffrey
Garter
Garter

Post by jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:29 pm

well, i only know little about this,
AIDS is caused by HIV, a virus, which can have replicate very fast. if any mutation occurs during this process, drug resistance will be the result. so, cocktail(which means using lots of drug same time)can be useful for period. but not cure it, 'cause you can't kill all kinds HIV virus at same time.
and vaccum is hardly made also. but before getting infection, one can block certain co-receptors on surface of T helper cell. and this can protect people from infection,although they have already got HIV in body 1or several hours ago.

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Post by kiekyon » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:26 am

Mjhavok wrote:Aids in the modern world isn't the death sentence is once was. Unfortunately there isn't a cure out there (that we have been told about(no im not a conspiracy nut lol)) but there are a cocktail of drugs which inhibit the virus so people can still live there lives.

yeah, and the good news is the HIV-1 virus is actually weakening.

they are replicating slower and become more sensitive to drugs

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:41 am

Yup, actually many therapies are invented to against HIV and AIDS but unfortunately till now, they haven't invented the HIV cure agent...:lol:
It reminds me about the history of war against HIV via antiviral agents...started from HAART and now, triple drug therapy...:D Just hope that the cure agent get invented as soon as possible...:wink:

HAART = Highly Active Anti Retroviral Therapy
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:05 pm

There are numerous antiretroviral drugs out there that can help AIDS victims ... the problem is that drugs are not availiable for every form of HIV (the AIDS virus mutates and becomes resistant to certain drugs).

However, none of these drugs can cure HIV ... they only minimize symptoms and SIGNIFICANTLY prolong life. (HIV is not necessarily a death sentence anymore... with proper treatment a patient can live a long time)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:19 pm

victor wrote: Just hope that the cure agent get invented as soon as possible...:wink:

Just wait a few years until get my own research lab and enough money and i'll have your cure
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 am

Hah...I'll wait for you then...or is it me, the one who invented it first???:lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.