Questions about asexual Reproduction

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jolileia
Garter
Garter

Questions about asexual Reproduction

Post by jolileia » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:36 am

May I ask why asexual reproduction still has a two fold benefit over the short term period? and Why should asexual out-produce sexual? thank you so much.

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:30 am

Asexual reproduction is always good in a non changing environment, because a well adapted individual will continually produce additional well adapted individuals. Sexual reproduction provides greater variation, but in the short term there are less changes in the environment, and so the benefits of that variation are less apparent.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:32 am

use the search function, already and recently discussed.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

jolileia
Garter
Garter

Post by jolileia » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:43 pm

Thanks Khaiy,
I am sorry to bother you again, but i still dont understand what two fold benefit is?
thanks

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:49 am

That is simple jolileia many individuals are produced during asexual reproduction and hence the competetion is reduced between other species but increased within the same species.Only in this case or in the case of mutation can evolution happen for an asexual population.But in the case of sexual reproduction variation is more in a long term period.In the case of asexual reproduction it is even more longer.As khaiy said asexual reproduction is good only for an environment that is not changing.But the environment does change often.But the main fact is evolution may occur faster in tha case of bacteria as they are simple and for higher organisms like humans it takes a long time.If you want to know more you migt like to see the post that I sent in the topic Evolution Tests With Bacteria in the third page.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:21 pm

My answer would be more along the lines of
1.Faster-no need to make flowers, wait for fertilization
2.No harmful traits-well at least less because of less mutations
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Less mutations in asexual reproduction? Says who?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

|sirius|
Garter
Garter

Post by |sirius| » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 pm

There might be less mutations in asexual reproduction. There wouldn't be problems in crossing over.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:02 pm

I understand the crossing over thingy, but mutations occur in DNA replications, don't they. And even if some mutations arrised from crossing over i would suspect them to be very few...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

Post by Khaiy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:55 am

Crossing over is recombinance, not mutation. Mutation is an error in the copying of genetic material, giving rise to entirely new traits. It is the source for variation in available traits, crossing over only provides new combinations (and sometimes expressions) of existing traits.

Simpler organisms that can reproduce asexually (like protists) tend to have less efficient mechanisms to copy genetic material, leading to an increase in mutation, but that would only mean more mutation in asexual reproduction, not less.