Bio help for a values debate

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Dadvocate
Garter
Garter

Bio help for a values debate

Post by Dadvocate » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:59 pm

Hello, everyone!

This is my first post here, and I sincerely hope that you can help me out.

I am an English teacher with a laymen’s understanding of science in general, which definitely includes the large field of biology. The problem is that I need a crash course in a short amount of time in one particular area: male and female happiness based on biological instincts.

I am the debate coach for my school, and we have been struggling with how to find and argument against feminist ideals to support our claims when we have to argue for the affirmative.

Here is the topic:

Resolved: Feminist ideals are detrimental to the attainment of gender equality.

Without getting into all the ends and outs of our contentions, I’d like to ask for help with one of them. We are basically going to try and build a case that demonstrates that feminist ideals do not take biological realities for men and women into consideration when they envision and existence where everyone is equal.

At the crux, we will need at least some biological evidence to support our claims that women and men are not only affected by sociological mechanisms in the choices we make, but also biological influences. These sources don’t have to be conclusive since this is a values debate, but they do need to be respectable.

If anyone could point to studies, scientists in the field of biology, or better case studies that shed light on this view, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:28 am

Neuropsychology is the study of the brain and biological factors on psychological state(such as happiness).

If you use keywords
"neuropsychology gender differences"
in google, you'll get a couple hundred hits. Articles on depression could help. You might need to get to a university library to get access to some of the papers though.

Good luck.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr