Genetics question about offspring

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
jiyuu
Garter
Garter
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Genetics question about offspring

Post by jiyuu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:06 am

The offspring of two short-tailed cats have a 25% chance of having no tail, a 25% chance of having a long tail, and a 50% chance of having a short tail. What can you hypothesize about the genotypes of the parents and the way in which tail length is inherited?

I tried making a few Punnett squares to figure it out, but my answers don't make too much sense to me (unless I'm missing something here?) Any help would be appreciated!

Also, how are alleles and traits related? I said that alleles make up traits, but I'm not sure.

kiekyon
Coral
Coral
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:10 am
Location: Malaysia

Post by kiekyon » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:51 am

u will get a ratio of 1:2:1
meaning the genotype are AA:Aa:aa
hence the parental genotype is both Aa
probably a case of imcomplete dominance or codominance

jiyuu
Garter
Garter
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Post by jiyuu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:36 am

oh! I get it now. ^^;

Thanks!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests