Extinction

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

David George
Coral
Coral

Extinction

Post by David George » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:47 am

The recent spread of bird flu is an amazing activity of nature.I think that nature is trying to let new species to evolve from the older birds or any other organisms to take their place.Unless there
is sympathric speciation that occures as a result of resistant birds
mating preferentially with each other (that would be interesting).It was when I heard that many birds died in India when it had only spread to one state of our nation I got this idea and from a scientist.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Nature is not trying to do anything. It simply happens. As for the evolution part of your post, i totally agree. From what i heard on TV, this desease, after reaching a particular size, will simply explode and kill everything, even humans if it mutates. If that happens, new organisms will take over the applied niche of older organisms via the founder effect
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

pankaaj
Death Adder
Death Adder

Extinction?

Post by pankaaj » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:12 pm

Bird flue can't be considered as an evolutionary process!
How a fit male will survive, i mean to say that how the birds will no that which one is fit!
The time lag between metting & survival plays a measure role here.
so as it is spreading through humans; can we say it as leading to human extinction? :lol:

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:26 am

I agree about that evolution point, the flued males provide an option which may be preffered or may not be... the genes of those females which preffer fit males will survive and produce a flu-resistant species...
Other chara. besides the resistance may be iduced depending upon the conditions during the evolution period...
As Andrew says if it mutates it can produce a human disease too... so we've to be alert!

hrushikesh