Can bacteria grow on MES as a carbon source?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

SRR
Garter
Garter

Can bacteria grow on MES as a carbon source?

Post by SRR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi All,
I have recently made up AF6 culture medium with MES (2-Morpholinoethanesulfonic Acid).
The culture became slightly turbid overnight.
I have previosly tried a very similar medium with tricine instead of MES, but that didn't become turbid overnight.
I have done other experiments where I added similar nutrients, but acetate instead of the Good's buffer and that DID go turbid overnight.

Hence my question! Is there any kind of bacteria or other microorganism which can use a Good's buffer like MES as a carbon source?

I should mention that the tricine and MES both came from the same company, and that I have no training in biology at all.

Thanks in advance (I only say that since the forum rules don't allow me to directly thank a respondent.)

Shaun.

biomedical
Garter
Garter

Re: Can bacteria grow on MES as a carbon source?

Post by biomedical » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:00 am

Carbon and Energy Sources for Bacterial Growth

In order to grow in nature or in the laboratory, a bacterium must have an energy source, a source of carbon and other required nutrients, and a permissive range of physical conditions such as O2 concentration, temperature, and pH. Sometimes bacteria are referred to as individuals or groups based on their patterns of growth under various chemical (nutritional) or physical conditions. For example, phototrophs are organisms that use light as an energy source; anaerobes are organisms that grow without oxygen; thermophiles are organisms that grow at high temperatures.

All living organisms require a source of energy. Organisms that use radiant energy (light) are called phototrophs. Organisms that use (oxidize) an organic form of carbon are called heterotrophs or (chemo)heterotrophs. Organisms that oxidize inorganic compounds are called lithotrophs.

The carbon requirements of organisms must be met by organic carbon (a chemical compound with a carbon-hydrogen bond) or by CO2. Organisms that use organic carbon are heterotrophs and organisms that use CO2 as a sole source of carbon for growth are called autotrophs.

SRR
Garter
Garter

Post by SRR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pm

I think I can now answer my own question:
While some Good's buffers are subject to degradation by bacteria, MES isn't one of them.
It seems the reason for the difference is that MES has lower metal binding constants than tricine.
I can achieve a similar bacteria bloom effect by keeping the concentration of tricine constant, but doubling the concentration of iron.

I had previously disregarded this possibility because the only information about metal binding constants for these buffers which I could find on the internet did not give values for iron, so I assumed that iron was not affected!

rahilsaxena
Garter
Garter

Post by rahilsaxena » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:08 am

My suggestion is:
If you are taking an agar and supplementing it with the nutrients that are required by that specific bacteria, then it will enhance the chances of that bacteria growing before any other. However, if you are talking about nutrient agar, which is an all purpose medium, there might be very little selectivity because all other ingredients would still be there.
If the bacteria grows by that specific carbon and your selective medium have it, the bacteria would utilize that specific carbon first before any other alternative. Just have the right concentration to keep a conducive environment for the bacteria.
Clinical Research