exhaust

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

exhaust

Post by alextemplet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:36 am

At the construction site where I work, we have a lot of diesel- and gas-powered equipment. I try my hardest not to inhale exhaust (mainly I don't stand where the exhaust is blowing), but of course it's completely impossible to avoid breathing in fumes altogether. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the possible health risks involved with prolonged exposure to exhaust fumes.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:50 am

lung cancer I guess.
Diesel release micro paricles that are just as bad to lungs than asbestos. And of course all unburnt or incompletely burnt hydrocarbones includes many poisons. Not much more detail but you could probably find more on this subject by searching the effect of car pollution, I guess there is plenty.
And I almost forgot CO which, even probably much below lethal level, still do not help correct oxygenation of your body.

Guess why I still ride a bike in the canadian winter (and wear a filtration mask in town)....
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:17 am

Speaking of CO, one of my coworkers told me a rather disturbing story. These two guys were working in a ditch near a generator. The CO gas from the generator's exhaust built up in the ditch, since CO is heavier than air, and eventually killed the two workers. This of course shouldn't have happened, since the two workers in the ditch should've gotten out as soon as they started to feel light-headed (assuming they had time), a third person should've been posted above the ditch as a hole watch in the event of an emergency, and the generator should never have been parked in such a potentially dangerous position to begin with. But it still happened, and it's frightening to think about it.

Most of the time, unless I'm right next to the exhaust, I notice either a very faint odor or nothing at all. But I still believe that I'm inhaling fumes simply because there's so much in the area. I don't think any of it's concentrated enough to fit the normal definition of lethal, but I think accumulation over time could still lead to potentially-fatal health risks. Just one of many reasons why I'm quitting my job as soon as I've saved up enough money to go back to college.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count