Catalase...

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Byrne
Garter
Garter

Catalase...

Post by Byrne » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:04 pm

Just wondering if anyone has some particular information on this enzyme as I'm having some trouble on the Internet.

I completed a lab today using the catalase enzyme, examing the factors that affect the biological catalyst as it speeds up the decomposition of hydogen peroxide. The information I am finding on the Internet about pH suggests that its optimal pH is around 7.0, but when we performed the lab, the reaction proceeded quickist in the 10-11 pH range. Also, regarding temperature, we had to heat the liver "milkshake" we had to a temperature of 75 C... according to information I've found, denaturation begins signifcantly below this mark, so should be see decreased activity from our room temp experimentation?

Coraleen212
Garter
Garter

Post by Coraleen212 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:42 am

I would say that catalase would have denatured significantly before 75 C. I think its optimum temperature is around 35-40 C and would start to denature at around 45 C ish. So if it was exposed to temperatures of 75 C, then yes, I'd say you should expect a decreased rate. I'm not certain as to its optimum pH, however I think itis likely to be around pH 7, as extremes in pH would denature it as well.