genetics problem. please help ASAP!!!

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kelsey34
Garter
Garter

genetics problem. please help ASAP!!!

Post by kelsey34 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:12 pm

here's the problem:

A Drosophila is heterozygous for the following traits:

C=straw colored, c=ebony colored
T=tolerance of wide temp. range, t=temperature sensitive
S=straight antenna, s=forked antenna
W=normal wings, w=tiny wings

i'm supposed to find the genotype and phenotype for the animal. how do u do that when there are 4 different sets of traits? can a genotype be more than 2 letters?

and is the genotype the answer u get from doing a punnett square, or are the genotypes the headings in your punnett square?

o and please don't give me the answer b/c it's on a take home quiz and i don't wanna cheat, but i just need to know how to do it.

thanks!

blazerUAB
Garter
Garter

Response

Post by blazerUAB » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:02 am

genotype is the actual 2 letters(HH, Hh, or hh)
Because of mendels principles of independant assortment your can write genes together. The answer to your question would be the geneotype is CcTtSsWw. The phenotype or the actual physcial characteristic depends on your geneotype. A capital letter is dominant so CC and Cc will give a straw colored bug. inorder to have the phenotype be recessive both alleles would have to be lower case or cc. A punnet square helps you determine the geneotype of offspring from the geneotype of the parents. Your given the Geneotype because your question asks for heterozygous genes which mean one capital letter and one lower case letter. Homozygous means the same and is either CC or cc.

kelsey34
Garter
Garter

Post by kelsey34 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:07 am

omg ur my hero lol! thanks sooo much! i think i'm starting to get it!