Thoughts on a Personal Theory

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Feli7603
Garter
Garter

Thoughts on a Personal Theory

Post by Feli7603 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Wasn’t sure if this would fit better in Genetics or Evolution, since it sort of covers both, but Genetics seems a better place to post this.
I was talking with a college student who is working to be an evolutionary biologist, and we were talking about inbreeding through generations. This led to me thinking: Since some insects and certain animals often inbreed, and some insects might have no choice but to mate with siblings, could the genes have evolved to allow generations of inbreeding to avoid mutation? Or could there be less chance of mutation due to some insects having much less chromosomes than more complicated animals?
Now, larger animals are another thing. Take lions, for example. The male lion, or king of the pride, will sometimes have daughters and mate with them. In the wild, most lions/lionesses within a pride are related to one another. Even if the father were to retire, a son would likely be the one to take over, which would potentially have the same effect.
Father/Daughter=Mother/Son=Brother/Sister.
However, in the wild, from what I have read, there don’t seem to be very many reports of negative effects due to this. To prevent mutations, the lions’ genes could have adapted to allow inbreeding without mutation, for an amount of time.