If your bilingual, What language do you Dream in?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by jnkdna » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:00 pm

Linn wrote:well I would guess in your native language.

Did you ever notice that when people speak their native tongue they suddenly talk very LOUD?

that is sooo true!!! my mom and dad are like dat!!! theyspeak in english with me cuz i consider that to be my mother tongue even if it isnt!
:wink: any way wen they talk to their families in their native language, its so much more louder!!! :lol: :-D
d nyt is darkest just before the dawn

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:27 pm

now it's ma turn..
first language (mother tongue) : Indonesian
next language learnt: English
and then for now and so on: Germany / Deutsch
for future plan: French
If I haven't married yet :lol: : Russian..

that's my plan for language of my life...:lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:45 pm

Well, since dreams consist simply of the nervous system rearraging the thoughts, desires, etc in your everyday life i would say that it is logical to dream in the language that has influenced your lifge the most. If you learn chineese as a baby and move to england when you are 5, i bet you will be dreaming in english when you are 50.

@mithril
They say it is compeltely normal to dream in black and white. I read a study that said that crazy people(they put it more mildly, but same thing) dream in color. which sucks for me, since i have been dreaming in color ever since i can remember

from what i know, the hardest language is cambodgian. It is at least the langiage with the longest alfabet. Longer than chineese
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Amrik
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Amrik » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:32 am

I know Punjabi, Thai and English
I usually dream in thai & english together in one dream but sometimes i dream in only english or punjabi or thai

Depends on wat i m dreaming abt!!
- There Is A Solution For Every Problem We Humans Have

Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe

Squawkbox
Coral
Coral

Post by Squawkbox » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:01 pm

I dont dream in any language and i dont see anything in my dreams i always thought my friend was odd when she said she saw her dreams all mine are just thoughts and so arent put into language although i suppose i think in english so i must dream these thoughts in english.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:04 am

Do you guys ever dream of something that already happened, but then you see yourself in a third person perspective? Because those are the only dreams that I have... I always see myself when i dream...

-Danny

oumoudiawara
Garter
Garter

Re: If your bilingual, What language do you Dream in?

Post by oumoudiawara » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:54 am

i_r_e_d wrote:I know spanish and english.... Mostly english, And all of my dreams are in english... If someone was equally fluent in two languages, would he dream in both languages?

i speak five languages. english,babara,spanish,french and arabic. its very difficult so i don't know what language i dream in sometimes its hard to tell cuz i never pay attention.

VeenaandNivyah
Coral
Coral

Post by VeenaandNivyah » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:30 pm

I know my native language- tamil, then OF COURSE english, sanskrit and also hindi. a bit of telugu too. 8)
I am in school and my dreams only involve my mother tongue or if it is abt something in school, my dreams are in english. it usually depends upon the situation of the dream, doesn't it? i mean, i've had dreams starting from the roadside cobbler to harry potter stuff, doesn't this mean that dreams are situational. they occur in languages that are relevant to dream, don't they???
would be cool if u could clear this HUGE doubt of mine.
thanx :)
VeenaandNivyah :D

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 am

:shock: wow
you two are amazing speaking
all those languages!
How old were you when you learnrd them?
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:16 am

I can speak English and French pretty well, though both are riddled with heavy Cajun influences so I don't speak either language "properly." I've also studied Spanish and Latin and a very little bit of German. I found Spanish to be the easiest, since when I studied it I already knew French, which is very similar. French and English were of course easy since I was raised with them. German is somewhat similar to English but a bit tough; Latin is nothing but grammar and confuses me beyond all possible hope. I can understand Latin words very well but I haven't a clue when it comes to putting the right endings on them.

Most of my dreams are in English, I think because it's the language I use most often. I do dream in French every now and then, though. And my dreams range from being very inspiring to humorous to weird to outright disturbing. The most inspiring is when I pray for an answer and receive it in the form of a dream; the disturbing is, well, you don't want to know.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:10 am

My dad (born and raised in mexico) says that his dreams now are all in english. But the transformation from spanish to english was very slow and had some bilingual dreams... I guess that I should've asked him first instead of doing all of this....

-Danny

bionewbie
Coral
Coral

Post by bionewbie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:44 pm

I dream in both. I am fluent in both English and my native language. It depends on who is in the dream with me. If my friends (who speak only English) are in the dream, then I'll be conversing English. However, if in the next dream sequence, my family is there, then I will switch back and speak to them in my native tongue.