Question about endogenous retroviruses

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

USArmyParatrooper
Garter
Garter

Question about endogenous retroviruses

Post by USArmyParatrooper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 pm

I’m not a scientist nor do I have a formal education in science. But I have been watching various YouTube videos explaining the evidence for evolution. Not that it’s pertinent to my question, but just a clarification I do believe in the theory.

My understanding is that endogenous retroviruses infect a host, and if it infects a germ cell it leaves a “finger print“ of sorts on the hosts DNA, in very specific location, and from that point forward the fingerprint remains for all future generations.

If I got anything wrong or if is anything that should be added, please explain it in layman‘s terms.

As for my question, how does a viral infection and up spreading to an entire population? Unless I’m misunderstanding, if we examined the DNA of any human or any chimpanzee there are multiple matching endogenous retroviruses markers.

I enjoy discussing politics, religion, and generally all the topics we’re supposed to avoid 😊

When I bring up this line of evidence I can see that being a legitimate question, one that I cannot answer. Thank you for any responses.

USArmyParatrooper
Garter
Garter

Re: Question about endogenous retroviruses

Post by USArmyParatrooper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 pm

So I received no answer, and someone rated my question one star. My question is legitimate and well-intentioned, so I would appreciate if somebody could explain to me what is going on?