Animals!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Theraphosid
Garter
Garter

Wolf/elk conservation

Post by Theraphosid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:08 am

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wildli ... ontrol.cfm

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game has proposed asking the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for permission to reduce the wolf population by up to 43 wolves or about 75 percent in the Lolo elk management zone of the Clearwater Region.

I don't know how much the wolf population in Idaho has decrease the elk population, but it seems to me that 75% seems like a very high number to kill in the first year of the passing of the proposal. Since the wolves have only recently been reintroduced would they not, in time, balance out between wolf:elk?

Could this not wait a while longer to observe the elk population vs wolf population?

And does anyone know what date wolves were reintroduced into the wild into North America?

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:11 am

Its hard to believe that they need to reduce them
allready as I believe they were only just introduced in the early 90's
And they are not off the list of endandered species YET.
But there is talk of taking them off.

At last count there were 677 wolves in Idaho.

National Geographic has done a lot of films
and articles about this topic, Thats where I would research this

The wolves are at present dying from parvo, a natural thinning out process any ways. :)

Hope this is helpfull

Go to:
http://google.nationalgeographic.com/se ... 8&q=wolves
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

Theraphosid
Garter
Garter

Post by Theraphosid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:08 pm

Thanks much for that information.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:41 pm

My dad got really mad when I had wildlife magazines about saving the wolves and he said that not only do the wolves eat the elk, but they stress out the females so much that if any of them DO get pregnate they loose their babies. Just another thought.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson